We're launching a new series of reader-submitted neighborhood guides! If you're interested in sharing the best of your neighborhood with our community, check out this submission form.
City: Richmond, Virginia
My Home: 3-bedroom freestanding row house
A little over a year ago, my husband and I moved from our soulless apartment in an uninspiring area north of Richmond, VA into the heart of the city. Through Craigslist we found a charming house in Carytown, a neighborhood brimming with personality and privately owned shops and restaurants.Catherine's Guide to Carytown
On the outskirts you'll find a McDonalds, a Starbucks, and a couple chain grocery stores, but other than that, it's all about the local guys. We've got the pedestrian feel of a bigger city, but without the rush and the sky-high price tags.
1. Favorite Neighborhood Home Store
- RUTH & OLLIE: 3445 W. Cary Street
Pretty and sophisticated furniture and home goods.
2. Go-to Shop for Gifts
- MONGREL: 2924 W. Cary Street
Cool cards and gifts.
3. Best Vintage Shop, Thrift Store, or Flea Market
- CLEMENTINE: 3118 W. Cary Street
For women's clothes — really cool finds, but with fair prices (i.e., no steals).
- SHEPERD STREET ANTIQUES: 103 N. Shepherd St.
For home stuff — nice people, decent prices.
4. Favorite Bookstore
- CHOP SUEY: 2913 W. Cary Street
5. Favorite Coffee Shop, Café, or Restaurant
- JEAN JACQUES: 3138 W. Cary Street
There are so many good coffee shops, but Jean Jacques has an unpretentious storefront, delicious bakery and scrumptious cafe.
6. Best Hardware/Paint Store
- Have to leave the neighborhood since Sunny's closed.
7. Best Place to Pick Up Groceries
- ELWOOD THOMPSON'S: 4 N. Thompson Street
Independent grocery with focus on local and organic produce; excellent hot bar.
8. Best Place to Buy Flowers
- TOM FRENCH FLOWERS: 217 N. Belmont Ave.
For everyday needs, Elwood Thompson's; For special occasions, Tom French Flowers (a short walk into the neighboring Museum District).
9. Best Neighborhood Park
- BYRD PARK
A 5 min walk from Carytown, it has a lake (w/ paddle boats), an exercise loop, tennis courts, a dog park, and just beyond is the incredible Maymont Park, but it would be a stretch for Carytowners to claim that.
10. Best Spot to Take Visitors
- BYRD THEATER: 2908 W. Cary Street
$1.99 second-run movies in a beautiful, historic theater.
Photos: Catherine Welborn