May 1 is quickly approaching. Years ago this day would have been filled with May Day celebrations, including the making of May baskets. The flower and treat-filled baskets were secretly placed on neighbors' door handles for a May Day surprise. This is one tradition I'd love to see back in rotation!
Check out these tutorials for inspiration to make your own May baskets this year and consider surprising that neighbor you really like (or really like, if you know what I mean) or your lovely friends and family.
1. I love the idea of a simple mason jar filled with flowers and attached to a door handle with a wire hanger. So simple yet so lovely!
2. Use a basket you may have on hand, or a secondhand basket, and fill it with fresh cut gerber daisies, like this colorful basket.
3. Re-use tin cans filled with delicate spring flowers for a simple and elegant presentation.
4. This rustic May basket is made from recycled tin cans, twigs, and ribbon.
5. This basket incorporates traditional paper stars for an elegant presentation.
6. This May basket is another example of using recycled tin cans along with brown paper and twine for a pretty and eco-friendly presentation.
7. I like this DIY May basket idea, made up of craft paper and candy for a new spin on a classic concept.
8. Camille Style's May basket is a modern interpretation using a mason jar wrapped in colorful thread and some homemade jam for an extra special gift.
9. Make a May basket using a paper cone filled with fresh flowers and a handmade tag.
10. This is a cool May basket idea for kids to make, using a recycled tin can, craft paper, and treats galore.