Name: Charlotte and Clayton
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Size: 750 square feet
Years lived in: 1.5 years; Rented
Charlotte and Clayton have created a home that functions as a place to relax, a place to work, and a place to entertain – all beautifully done in less than 1,000 square feet! Their apartment has an easy but sophisticated feeling, and it’s no surprise that it tends to be a gathering spot for friends in the area. It’s also a home that will forever be part of their story, as the couple just got engaged here in December.
Charlotte and Clayton lived in several other cities before moving to Philadelphia; They've built their collection from finds across the Northeast, as well as with hand-me-downs from family and friends. Many items in their home have a great story, and you can tell that they’ve put a lot of thought into having a space that is intentional, comfortable and beautiful. For instance, Clayton found caribou antlers on a canoe trip Canada. He carted them around for two weeks and they now sit perfectly atop a bookshelf in the living room.
The apartment is also filled with an eclectic mix of art. Charlotte is working on a PhD in Art History, and the walls have interesting photographs and paintings balanced with vintage posters and sentimental pictures. And there are more great stories in the art – my favorite involves the prints behind their sofa in the living room, which were done by Clayton’s cousin, Caroline Addams. When Clayton first visited Charlotte’s parents' home, he was stunned to see an original painting in their home that was also done by his cousin – purchased before the family had ever met Clayton! The seamless harmony of Charlotte and Clayton’s style is a sign that these two are set for a happy married life.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: We have an eclectic style, and we don’t have a problem with contrasts as long as the space doesn’t feel confused or overbearing. I (Charlotte) am a bit of a neat freak with a real aversion for clutter, but I don’t want the space to ever seem clinical, so there is a fair amount of color and texture.
Inspiration: Scandinavian design, Pintrest, Turkish textiles, well-designed restaurants, bars, and hotels.
Favorite Element: Our growing plant and book collections!
Biggest Challenge: Figuring out how to brighten our outdated, beige kitchen.
What Friends Say: We want to think our apartment occasions a welcoming feeling because we often have friends over for dinner, drinks, TV nights, or even study sessions. Everyone always comments: “It looks like a real person’s house!”
Biggest Embarrassment: The ceiling fans. We love a fan as much as the next person, but not these….
Proudest DIY: We refinished an antique table (hand-me-down) that had been covered in paint and glitter. It’s not perfect, but it definitely looks better.
Biggest Indulgence: Diptyque candles and the jute rug.
Best Advice: Decorate with books— organize your room around bookshelves.
Dream Sources: Flea markets, EBay, Etsy, antique row in Philly, Design Within Reach, Jonathan Adler, ABC Carpet & Home, art from by my talented friends and other wonderful artists, especially the ones I write about!
Resources of Note:
- Couch: Urban Outfitters
- White chairs: Flea market
- Side table: Etsy
- Bookshelves: IKEA
- Lamps: IKEA
- Coffee table: CB2
- Rocking Chair: CB2
- Other chair: Second-hand store in Brooklyn
- Desk: CB2
- Small rug: Hand-me-down
- Large rug: World Market
- Pillows: All over – Etsy, Flea markets, and Pier 1
- Antlers: Clayton picked up a Caribou antler when canoeing in Canada.
- Art: Poster from the first show I co-curated, an original Woodstock poster, Yale alumni magazine poster signed by Gary Trudeau, prints by Clayton’s talented cousin Caroline Addams, vintage football poster.
- Bar set: Vintage, Etsy
- Bureau: Leftover from one of Clayton’s friends/former roommates
- Bar lamp: Flea market
- Table: Hand-me-down
- Chairs: Amazon and second-hand from friend
- Salt and pepper shakers: Kate Spade
- Candlesticks: Target
- Placemats: The Walker Art Center online store
- Spice containers: Etsy
- Side tables: Target
- Lamps: Land of Nod
- Desk: Overstock.com
- Desk lamp: Nate Berkus for Target
- Rug: Hand-me-down
- Bureau: IKEA
- Glass containers: Container store
- Towels: Picked up when we were in Istanbul!
Thanks, Charlotte & Clayton!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!