1. Switching out old accessories makes a huge difference. A new toilet paper holder, towel rods and toothbrush holders can seriously update a space. Add in new towels and shower curtain and the whole room can feel transformed.
2. Take on a paint job. A fresh coat of new color or pristine white makes any room feel better, and in a small space like a bathroom, it's a weekend job.
3. Regrout. A fairly simple (and very cheap) DIY, this project can make the oldest, worn out bathing area feel 1000 times cleaner.
4. Replace the lighting. A bit more expensive, since an electrician is probably a good idea for bathroom, but new, more flattering, modern lighting is one fix that you can make now to improve the "feel" of the room dramatically, and can possibly leave in place once you take on the larger renovation down the road.
5. Stuck with outdated (or even awful) colors of tiles and fixtures? Make a virtue out of a disadvantage by celebrating those (insert funky color of choice here) fixtures or tiles with matching towels, retro artwork and maybe even some over-the-top wallpaper. You can't hide it, so you might as well embrace it for the time being.
Photo: By Ngoc Minh Ngo from Domino's Bold Bathroom Gallery - a great spot to look for inspiration.