We're pinching our pennies to save up for a down payment on a new home for our family, so I've been trying to find some ideas for summer fun on a budget. Of course, there's the park, climbing trees, and rolling down grassy hills, but sometimes you need something a little extra-ordinary. A friend of mine posted a photo of her little guy playing in his kiddie pool, but instead of being filled with water it was full of corn - genius! It set me to thinking about all of the other ways that one could use one of those cheap plastic baby pools, and I did a little searching. Here are a few of my favorite creative ideas:
1. Make giant bubbles by following this tutorial from One Charming Party.
2. Fill it with good old mud and water and "pan for gold" like at this birthday party over on Restless Risa.
3. Fill it with corn and throw in your kid's favorite trucks and tractors like my friend Tabitha did over on Raising Up Arrows.
4. Make your own bubbly ball pit like this one over on Small Potatoes.
5. If your little one is adventurous make your own critter pit like this one on From Chalkboards to Strollers.
6. For nighttime fun use some submersible LED lights and a black light to make an out-of-this-world glow pit like this one over on Growing a Jeweled Rose.
7. If your little one is into farms, create your own barnyard like this one on All for the Boys.
8. For a little "clean" messy fun, fill your pool with shaving cream like this one over on From Chalkboards to strollers.
9. A kiddie pool can make a great inexpensive sandbox as shown on What Shall We Do Today? Life as an Air Force Family.
10. Take inspiration from MyPartyPlanner.com and use your pool to organize an epic water balloon fight.
Have you used your kiddie pool for something other than swimming? We'd love to hear your creative ideas!