This week, we're in the middle of organizing a landing strip to sort clutter at the door. As we declutter our homes, it helps to keep three questions in mind: 1) Do I use it? 2) Do I love it? 3) Does my apartment need it? If it doesn't meet these criteria, it goes in the Outbox. The Outbox helps a lot with the anxiety that sometimes surrounds letting go of things. By moving something into an intermediate space, you have time to think about whether or not you really need it and how to get rid of it. It makes the separation process a lot easier. Good links and more below the jump...
This Week's Assignment (Deep Treatment): We're cleaning the entryway and closet to make room for a landing strip. A healthy entryway consists of: coat hooks or hangers, a doormat, and a space to sort mail. You're also moving old magazines and mail into the outbox, and canceling catalogs.
This Week's Assignment (One-Room Workout): Color is all about balance. The 80/20 color rule is a template that you can apply to manage colors, by using strong hues sparingly (20 percent) and setting the stage with neutrals (80 percent). For inspiration, check our AT archives: AT:CHI's Color Combos, AT:NY's ColorTherapy, and entries from the 2007 Fall Colors Contest.
• Our entire Flickr Pool is busy with new photos.
• lucitebox has a great sense of humor in her decor.
• metromom's been busy with a checklist of completed tasks.
• tamaraamick needs help with the "heart" section of the Cure.
• harmony_france has chosen a color scheme.
• merskine's silverware caddy is a great solution for a kitchen counter.
Supplemental Posts: We're posting Cure-related topics throughout the 8 weeks. Check out the following posts for a little extra perspective on the Spring Cure:
• CHI House Tour Roundup: Landing Strips
• Finding Your Style and Applying It
• Look! Everyday Vases (and the Scotch-Tape Technique)
• CHI Spring Cure Close-Up: Bathrooms
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Three
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Two - Weekend
• CHI Spring Cure: Mid-Way Through Week Two
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Two
• CHI Spring Cure: Week One - Weekend
• CHI Spring Cure: Mid-Way Through Week One
• CHI Spring Cure: Week One
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Zero - Weekend
• CHI Spring Cure: Official Sign-Up
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Zero