We're moving on and up. Week Two is (already!) behind us, and this week we're focusing on two things that make a big impression in a home: ORGANIZATION and COLOR. You can usually gauge a home's health when you walk through the door, which is why we're working on the landing strip. Think about what you need to get rid of that mess of mail and start filtering through the junk on a daily basis. Both Deep Treatment and One-Room Workout folks are also honing on in color schemes. Good links and more below the jump...
This Week's Assignment (Deep Treatment): We're cleaning the entryway and closet to make room for a landing strip. A healthy entryway consists of: coat hooks or hangers, a doormat, and a space to sort mail. You're also moving old magazines and mail into the outbox, and cancelling catalogs.
This Week's Assignment (One-Room Workout): Color is all about balance. The 80/20 color rule is a template that you can apply to manage colors, by using strong hues sparingly (20 percent) and setting the stage with neutrals (80 percent). For inspiration, check our AT archives: AT:CHI's Color Combos, AT:NY's ColorTherapy, and entries from the 2007 Fall Colors Contest.
• Our Flickr Group is busy with tons of new photos.
• lucitebox needs advice on redoing kitchen floors.
• minhus washed all the dishes on her open shelving.
• aprilsk needs more storage in the bathroom.
• GG Chicago Gal is working on the bedroom.
• elisaruth wants color in the dining room.
• Alana mocked up coffee table colors for her living room so that fellow Curers can weigh in with thoughts.
Continuing Tasks: As we move on to new parts of the Cure, keep in mind those continuing tasks which are at the heart of making and keeping your home healthy: cleaning, cooking, and repairs. The AT sites can help you stay motivated to complete these tasks regularly. Check the Kitchn for recipes, search the sites for repair tips (see this post for renovation resources), and check Re-Nest for green cleaning tips.
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Two - Weekend
• CHI Spring Cure: Mid-Way Through Week Two
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Two
• CHI Spring Cure: Week One - Weekend
• CHI Spring Cure: Mid-Way Through Week One
• CHI Spring Cure: Week One
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Zero - Weekend
• CHI Spring Cure: Official Sign-Up
• CHI Spring Cure: Week Zero