Made in Chicago. Although urban beekeeping might not be on everyone's radar, it's a growing trend according to Conscious Choice. Proof in point: the Chicago neighborhood of North Lawndale is home to the Chicago Honey Co-op's 100-plus hives.
The co-op has a few things going for it: it's locally made in chemical-free hives, they hire and train under-employed Chicagoans, and they also create beeswax candles, sugar scrubs and lip balms.
Where to buy:
• Etsy Shop
• Green City Market
• Oak Park Farmer's Market
• Logan Square Farmer's Market
• Art Effect in Lincoln Park
• Bleeding Heart Bakery in Ukranian Village
• The Goddess and Grocer in Bucktown and the Gold Coast
• Marion Street Cheese Market in Oak Park
• Morlen Sinoway Atelier in the West Loop