Lately we've been fascinated by Chinese antiques, particularly Ming and Ming-style pieces, which have a slender, elegant aesthetic. The clean lines and high-quality craftsmanship of Ming furniture (and Chinese furniture from other periods, as well) fits in easily with modern 20th century and contemporary 21st century decor.We won't go into a history of Chinese furniture in this post (although, if you're interested, antique store Pagoda Red has a blog all about furniture and artwork from the Ming dynasty and other periods). Instead of an article on the connections between Chinese antiques and more modern furniture, we thought we'd round up a few inspirational photos.
All of these images come from real homes, and most of the photos have been culled from Apartment Therapy house tours. We found lots of ideas for pairing 20th century styles with antiques — notably, the dark woods of Chinese furniture contrast beautifully with smooth and curvy modern classics like Panton chairs, Saarinen tables, and white Eames chairs. For a deeper look into each home, click through the links listed below.
- Antique bed with white bedding in Max and Peter's Sydney home
- Antique dining table with Panton chairs in Xing's Shanghai home
- Antique coffee table with Eames lounge chair in Xing's Shanghai home
- Antique accessories in Michael and David's Washington, DC home
- Antique occasional tables in Shawn and Amy's Laurel Canyon home
- Vintage travel poster in Tiffany and Jaan's San Francisco home
- Southeast Asian rain drums as coffee tables in Daniel's Long Beach home
- Vintage-style wardrobe in Amy's Chicago home
- Elaborate antique bench in Ronnie & Viktoria's Chicago home
- Chinese-style chairs with a Saarinen table in an interior by April Tidey