The notion that chipped dishes are vehicles for bacterial growth was instilled into my brain when I was small, which means I am a bit horrified to see damaged dishware put in front of me in restaurants, while other diners seem to take no notice at all. What side of the cracked line do you stand?
When a dish in my home is damaged I will assess its future potential. Often times chipped plates find their place under a potted plant; glasses will sometimes become vessels for votive candles, but only if the is no risk of being cut by a sharp spot.
What I would like to know is how the rest of you feel. Do you immediately remove problematic pottery, or does it remain in rotation?
How about embellishing the blemishes?
(Image: Stacy Smith)