Name: Chris Kendzierski
Location: Long Beach, California
Size: 450 square feet
Years lived in: 2
Anytime we get an itch to create a wood bench for outdoor seating or a wood cover-up for our tiled bar, we hit up our friend Chris — who is a master when working with wood. And while most of the time we never get around to our larger-scale DIY projects, at least we have Chris' charming (and spacious) Long Beach studio to visit and get our woodworking fix.
As much as we love to organize a garage for its intended use — to park a car — we'll let Chris get away with using his garage for his woodworking studio. Upstairs, you'll find his cozy home complete with an adorable Pug (aka Alexander Hamilton) and amazing DIY pieces. Our favorite elements were the walls dotted with friends artwork, the vertical display of Woolly Pockets in the kitchen and the painted claw foot tub that screams "Calgon take me away!"
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My style: Organic Modern
Inspiration: George Nakashima
Favorite Element: I would probably have to say all the towel and racks and coat hooks. Those are the things that I always see and notice
Biggest Challenge: Turning a studio into multiple living spaces. I think it helps that I'm constantly rearranging. It's also a huge challenge to keep the studio feeling spacious when I really just want more and more furniture.
What Friends Say: They're always impressed by how uncluttered my place is for a studio
Biggest Embarrassment: Window dressings (no further comments)
Proudest DIY: Coffee table — so simple but so rad!
Biggest Indulgence: Hardwoods (I always default to making something out of hardwood because I have a bunch of it around my shop instead of shopping for some cool found objects to modify).
Best advice: Just say no — and if you buy IKEA, you must alter it yourself.
Dream source: John Nyquist's brain and hands — acquiring one of John's pieces is on the bucket list!
• Wood coffee table and platform bed handmade by Chris
• Entryway dresser from Revival Furniture in Lincoln Heights
• TV stand stereo cabinet a gift from friends
• Black bookcases are from IKEA but altered with an extension to make them less "IKEA"
• Eames lounger from Vintage store Warehouse 1333 in Long Beach (Chris made the armrests)
• Piano is a family hand-me-down
• Lamp in living area from IKEA
• Towel racks in bathroom and kitchen, shelf above entryway dresser, antler coat hook and sunglass wall tower handmade by Chris
• Pillows on bed from IKEA and Target
• White bedding from IKEA
• Living wall of plant containers from Woolly Pocket
• Striped hand towels from Target
• Wood panel behind couch handmade by Chris