Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Chris & Julia
- Groton, MA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Our last apartment was a tiny studio, so our current two bedroom, 962 square foot apartment actually felt huge when we first moved in! We weren't allowed to paint or change much about the apartment itself, since we're only going to be here for a year, but we lucked out with beautiful hardwood floors and windows on all four sides. It is our furniture, art, and styling choices that really make our place feel like home, and we have loved the process of collecting vintage pieces through constant thrift store and Craigslist hunting. Part of the fun is that things are always changing around here, and we are already beginning the process of downsizing in preparation for a big cross-country move this summer!
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Our apartment is on the top floor under the eaves with all sorts of strange nooks and crannies, so it was definitely a challenge to figure out our space planning, but now we love how every little corner has its own special use. We have no upper cabinets in the kitchen because of the sloped ceilings, so we added a few wood lawyer bookcases on the counter to display our everyday vintage dishes, cookbooks, and enamelware. Also, we run a small business selling vintage items on Etsy, so we have the added issue of having to house all our inventory somewhere; we ended up using our second bedroom as an office/shop, which is crammed to the brim with stock. Between the two of us, our cat and dog, and all our stuff, it is definitely a full little place!
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- We will be getting rid of at least half our current belongings for our move to California this summer, so the prize money would definitely be helpful for searching out new (but vintage, of course) pieces to furnish our next space. We would love to find a womb chair, and it would also be great to frame some of our artwork (we are both artists), which we haven't been able to afford yet. We're also hoping to have the chance to finally get our hands dirty with some home design projects. Hopefully our new apartment will end up even cooler than our current place!
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013