Profession: Construction Project Manager
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Size: 1,200 square feet
Years lived in: 10 — owned
A decade ago, when Chris first purchased his home, it was solid and clean, but lacked personality. Over the years, he's gradually gutted and remodeled virtually every square inch of his home, taking it from an outdated and uninviting shell to a cozy and welcoming abode.
Chris's design decisions seem to be motivated by his own hospitable nature. From the expertly-designed kitchen to the lush backyard to the attic-turned-guest-suite, his home is carefully designed with entertaining in mind. His motivations have proven highly successful, as we felt welcomed and at home instantly upon arrival.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My style: Eclectic
Favorite Element: Living Room and Dining Room wallcovering
Biggest Challenge: Budget
What Friends Say: Everyone says they like it.
Proudest DIY: Getting the lemons on the den wallcovering to perfectly line up with the millwork around the room.
Biggest Indulgence: Sub Zero / Viking Appliances
Best advice: Live in the space for a while before you change everything.
• Dining Room center fixture: Luminaire
• Dining Room sconces: leucos
• Living Room tables : B&B Italia Luminaire
• Living Room sofa upholstered by Vivo interiors (Chicago)
• Living Room and Dining Room wallcovering by seabrook
• Exterior furniture: B&B Italia Luminaire
• Bedroom: Raffia headboard by summerhill
• Foyer fixture by Dave Glaggett (Weston, Vermont)
Images: Smith Schwartz
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.