Name: Christina and Thejas; Cats: Oliver and Teddie
Location: DUMBO; Brooklyn, New York
Size: 1,080 square feet
Years lived in: 7 months; Rented
When Christina and Thejas were looking for a new apartment last summer, they searched for a place that had luxury amenities, but still had character and charm. What they found was a modern apartment in an old factory building in DUMBO. And with Christina’s flair for accessorizing and adding color, they brought the space to life.
Thejas explained that Christina is the decorator in their home, and has a great eye. She has managed to fit their old furniture (much from their pre-marriage days) into the new space with ease. In fact, the settee in the living room window nook has fit into multiple past apartments – it’s one of those pieces that always seems at home. To bring freshness to their existing furniture, Christina mixed in new details, colors and textures. I was particularly drawn to the luxuriously soft rugs around the apartment – I think their cats, Oliver and Teddie, love those too.
Christina’s passion for accessorizing has also inspired her to make a major career shift. After working in finance for 10 years, she recently decided to pursue a more creative endeavor, and is now working as Brand Ambassador for an emerging designer jewelry line ALIBI NYC.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Cozy Chic, Homey yet stylish and modern
Inspiration: Home décor posts on Instagram, Pinterest, Houzz and Apartment Therapy
Favorite Element: The window nook in our living room – the first couch I ever purchased that has followed me to 3 different apartments fits perfectly there. Plus, I love natural light. I also really love the exposed wood beams in our apartment – it adds character.
Biggest Challenge: Not enough storage space (typical for NYC apartments).
What Friends Say: “We love your place! You have great taste!”
Biggest Embarrassment: Cat-scratched couch arms. Also, second bedroom not being decorated yet. All we have in there right now is a couch and an IKEA dresser for when friends crash.
Proudest DIY: Turning our apartment into a real home in just a couple of months – I put up most of the art on the walls by myself with some nails, a hammer and a level, (including the gallery wall in the living room)!
Biggest Indulgence: Living room rug from Room & Board. It has a simple, clean and minimalistic look, but feels so soft and luxurious under your feet.
Best Advice: Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Nice furniture and gallery art can be super expensive, but you can find lots of great affordable accents and art if you look for flash sales on websites such as One Kings Lane. Dress up your walls and use accents to add flair and pops of color! This will really brighten up your apartment and make it feel like a real home.
Dream Sources: Design Within Reach, Herman Miller, ABC Carpet & Home, Anthropologie
- Flat-Weave Runner – One Kings Lane
- Sideboard/credenza – Room & Board
- Gallery picture frames – Pottery Barn
- Rug – Room & Board
- Arc Floor Lamp – CB2
- Coffee Table – Room & Board
- Media Cabinet – Crate & Barrel
- Couch – West Elm
- Multipurpose mid-century style side table/cat house - Etsy
- Settee – West Elm
- Moroccan pouf – Jonathan Adler
- Decorative pillows – West Elm, One Kings Lane, Bo Concept
- Pig Bookends - One Kings Lane
- Gallery Wall Art:
- Lady Mags, Change – One Kings Lane
- Eadweard Muybridge, Elephant Locomotion – 20x200
- Amarillo Sunrise – Minted for West Elm
- Granada, Spain – Art.com
- Musician in the Rain – Art.com
- Other Wall Art:
- Forget Me Not – Art.com
- Eva Zeisel and KleinReid, Sprouts, 2011 Limited Edition – Room & Board
- Windmills – 20x200 for West Elm
- Marble Tulip Dining Table – Designerseating.com
- Dining chairs – West Elm
- Cowhide rug – cowhidesinternational.com
- Floor Mirror – West Elm
- Bar – Crate & Barrel
- Stainless Steel Picture Frame – Room & Board
- Rug – Anthropologie
- Bed – Crate & Barrel
- Art above bed – A Formal Affair, Jennifer Latimer – One Kings Lane
- Left Side Table – West Elm
- Right Side Table/Distressed Wood Chest – Pottery Barn
- Dressers - Lazzoni
- Sheepskin Rugs – One Kings Lane
- Mirrored Chest – One Kings Lane
- Floor and desk lamps – West Elm
- Floor Mirror – West Elm
- Lucite Ghost Chair – LexMod.com
- Brooklyn Bridge Canvas Art – Oliver Gal – One Kings LaneKitten and Feather Print, Sharon Montrose – theanimalprintshop.com
- Couch - Crate & Barrel
- Gallery frames - West Elm
- Dresser - IKEA
- White Horse Wall Art - HauteLook
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!