Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I moved in less than two months ago and while I am a believer in waiting for the right piece, I am too impatient to live with an undecorated house in the meantime. I was able to furnish the entire apartment in a couple of weeks with almost exclusively second-hand furnishings costing $50 or less, and it actually feels really good to me. I am proud of how I was able to create this space while working with such a tight budget.
What I love most about my small home is how sunny it is. I am not a morning person but when the whole apartment is filled with warm light in the morning, it actually makes me excited to get out of bed!
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1. I love the simplicity a small place offers. I have had larger places in the past and just filled them with unnecessary stuff. A lack of space can help remind you of what is important; friends, music, flowers, food, tea. These are the things that make a home, not owning tons of stuff.
2.The first thing a guest will notice about your home is the way it smells. In a small place, it is especially important to keep a handle on messes, as unpleasant smells can easily creep into the rest of the house. For providing a chosen scent, nothing is better than a good candle.
3. Define luxury for yourself. Think about what makes you feel good. Is it piles of books? A space dedicated to sipping tea in the morning? It is important to find what it is and prioritize it. Make a grown-up fort for reading in. Make your creepy cat collection the focal point of your living room. Turn your closet into a yoga studio... This is your home and it will not feel quite right until it feels like you.
See all entries