Christine and Pierre's Kitchen: Time to Paint

Renovation Diary

Pin it button big

I might paint this wall a fun colour at some point, but for now everything is going white.

Pin it button big

Name: Christine & Pierre
Type of Project: Kitchen remodel
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Type of building: Ground floor apartment of a triplex, 1,100 square feet

The Renovation Diaries are a new collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.

This week was taken up by a single activity: painting. 

We didn't even completely finish, but we did completely finish painting the beams and the ceiling, and all the walls in the extension, which was my main goal. The floors are scheduled to go in next week and I wanted to at least get the messiest bit of painting out of the way.

Pin it button big

Painting around these window frames: huge PITA.

I forgot just how LONG certain things around painting take. A perfect example – I easily lost two hours trying to remove all the old, crusty caulking around the windows in order to recaulk the window frame properly. 

The room is still looking a little blindingly white with the primer, but we've started to put on the more soft antique whites that we have elsewhere in the house. I was happily pleased that my custom colour match for the ceiling paint matches the painting job I had done in the rest of the apartment more than 2 years ago. 

Also, for the record, painting white on white has got to be the most unsatisfying paint job in existence.

Pin it button big

Painting the ceiling meant we could finally install our recessed LED lighting. Now we can actually be in the space at night!  

One huge achievement this week was being able to install all the recessed lighting in the kitchen once we finished the ceiling. The room is BRIGHT! We've been operating with such a dark room for so long that the difference is shocking. I was worried we might have gone overboard on the recessed lighting, but once it was installed it seemed okay. In any case, everything is on dimmers. 

We also made the call this week to get our contractors in during the week to install the floor. We are behind! This way, we're hoping to do the sanding and varnishing next weekend ourselves.

Pin it button big

Where we were at at the end of the weekend. What a difference primer makes!

Estimated time for project: 13 weeks
Time remaining: 4 weeks!

Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us next week for #13 of Christine and Pierre's Diary.

(Images and diary text: Christine Zoltok)

8 Comments