While we usually think of gift tags simply as labels for the outside of Christmas packages, vintage style shipping and hang tags can play many a role in your holiday decor
as well. Requiring little cash and even littler effort, hang tag decor is a quick fix for all you harried holiday-ers seeking something creative and festive on the fly. Vintage hang tags carry a certain nostalgic weight that makes them perfect for the holidays even if you usually prefer a modern look to a homespun or country style. The true vintage ones can be hard to come by, especially this time of year, but eBay usually seems to have a few options. However, if you'll settle for a vintage style
tag, office supply stores carry them in abundance. Staples sells manila shipping tags
in packs of 1,000 (!) for under twenty dollars, so you can attach one to a gift (or 100) while you're at it.
• All you non-crafters, take heart. If you can wield a stamp and spell, you can make a Christmas garland. Stamp a few tags with a holiday message, affix to twine, and you have the perfect addition to your mantel, window, or Christmas tree. This one hails from the talented Courtney of Merriment Events, which she made for a holiday wedding. Check out more of the lovely details at Snippet & Ink.
• And even if you don't have the stamps, but have do have the decent penmanship you can still make your own version. On a recent visit to Nicole's home — of Colin and Nicole's Streamlined Salvage house tour fame— I spotted Nicole's simple but creative handmade garland which bears the message "merry, merry Christmas." She says that each year it finds a new spot, sometimes gracing a doorway or sometimes acting as a window swag.
• The talented Melaine of the lovely My Sweet Savannah blog used an old frame and a piece of wood to create her own advent calender. She numbered her vintage style tags 1 through 24 for the 24 days of December leading up to Christmas, and topped each with a special ornament for her kids to place on the tree on the corresponding day. Check out her instructions and more lovely photos at My Sweet Savannah.
• Ladies & Gentlemen had the wonderful idea of printing the tags with mixing instructions for a vintage style News Years even cocktail party. Check out the full spread at Poppytalk.
• Attach old photos to vintage style tags for personalized ornaments.
In addition to the creative uses above, attach them to anything that needs clarifying this holiday season: dinner spots as place cards, wine glasses at cocktail parties, side dishes at a buffet style dinner party, party favors, and, of course, Christmas presents! What are your ideas for these handy and stylish tags?
Images: 1: Merriment Events via Snippet & Ink, 2: Leah Moss, 3: My Sweet Savannah blog, 4: Ladies & Gentlemen guest post for Poppytalk, 5: Country Living