Name: Christopher and Javier
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,345 square feet
Years lived in: 4 months
Christopher and Javier's loft could be mistaken for an underground nightclub - the bright/neon paint colors, turntables, music collection, LED lighting, and an overall dark, moody space. I thought I was missing the coolest house party in downtown, but it turns out they host more dinner parties than dance offs. With a large dining room table and island seating, Christopher loves to spend time cooking up a storm in the kitchen and entertaining guests.
When Christopher and Javier first looked at the loft apartment, it was in a very raw state and needed a lot of work including adding additional lighting and laying flooring to cover up a patch of rough concrete. Christopher says, "It took a bit of convincing Javier that this was going to be a great apartment, but he reluctantly saw my vision after laying it out for him."
Javier and Christopher were determined to transform their raw space into a home in a very short period of time. The weekend and after work dedication paid off and now they can relax just a bit and enjoy their space.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Mid-Century techno-industrial
Inspiration: I've lived in all types of Los Angeles housing except for a loft. It was time! Suburbia was a little too slow.
Favorite Element: The space! It's an open floor plan loft, but the layout lends itself to how the space will be used.
Biggest Challenge: There was very little storage space, so we had to work a lot in figuring out where it made sense to add shelving, etc. Visio and a lot of measuring and scale diagrams made it possible to get everything beforehand, so we weren't figuring it out when we got here.
What Friends Say: Most people are impressed by the amount of work that was accomplished in under a month. We toiled night and day throughout March to get everything just right (but we're always changing things around).
Biggest Embarrassment: In a couple of storage spaces, things are a bit untidy. At least they are hidden well!
Proudest DIY: The shelving unit in the dining room, laying the floor in the bedroom / bathroom, running electrical lines, boxes and switches, and painting every single wall in the place (Javier did most of it, as I injured my shoulder two nights before moving in).
Biggest Indulgence: It's a toss-up between the technology and some of the Eames / Nelson furniture pieces.
Best Advice: Measure twice, cut once. When planning out a space, it's very important to get things right the first time. Don't rush!
Dream Source: I wish I could have the MOMA furniture collection to pick and choose from!
Resources of Note:
- Eames lounge chair and ottoman - cherry/black, 50th anniversary edition: DWR
- Eames molded plywood lounge chair - red paint: DWR
- Eames desk multi-color: DWR
- Ultra Series Drafting Table: Blick
- Eero Saarinen Executive chair w/ tubular leg (Craigslist tip from Apartment Therapy!): Knoll
- Axis Leather 2-seat sofa: Crate And Barrel
- Sapien Bookcase - Tall: DWR
- Noguchi Table - Black: DWR
- Hemnes sofa table - Black-brown: Ikea
- Silverado rectangular dining table (2): CB2
- 1006 Navy side chair by Emeco - brushed (4): DWR
- 111 Navy side chair by Emeco - Persimmon (4): Emeco
- Window seat white counter-height barstool (2): CB2
- Felix white counter-height barstool (2): Crate&Barrel
- Gorm shelving units / Anno Amorf panel curtains - to size: Ikea
- Iron stacking wine racks (6): Container Store
- Mattress: Simmons Beauty Rest Black Dafne - King w/box spring: Sit'nSleep
- Headboard: Morocco Headboard - Chocolate: West Elm
- Duvet: Acacia (king) by Calvin Klein Home: Macy's
- Bathroom/bedroom: Allure dark bamboo vinyl flooring: Home Depot
RUGS & CARPET
- Living room: Scarlet rug: Crate&Barrel
All Sherwin-Williams paints:
- Living Room: Tanager / Sand Dune
- Hall: Sand Dune
- Kitchen / Dining Room: Daredevil / Martian (Valspar color formula)
- Bathroom: Rugged Suede (Valspar color formula)
- Bedroom: Cornflower Blue (Valspar color formula) / High Noon (Valspar color formula)
- Anno Sanela Panel curtains (Brown, grey in kitchen): Ikea
- Designview faux wood blinds - various sizes (Bedroom): Home Depot
- George Nelson Lotus floor lamps - Large: Room&Board
- George Nelson Saucer lamp - Large: Hive
- Tripod lamp: CB2
- Mathmos Airswitch 1 lamps
- Dioder LED Light strips - Multi-color: Ikea
- Dioder LED Light strips - White: Ikea
- Troy 3 Mini-Pendant: Home Depot
- Skimmerscape (edition of 2000, 1976 Serigraph, titled and signed): Charley Harper Art Studio
- Seeing Red (edition of 2500, 1977 Serigraph, titled and signed): Charley Harper Gallery
- Heath Hen (edition of < 100, 1957 Serigraph, titled and signed): Charley Harper Prints
- Titmouse Tidbit (open edition, 1975 lithograph, titled and signed): Charley Harper Art Studio
Thanks Christopher and Javier!
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.