Name: Cian (3)
Location: Portland, Oregon
My husband Chris and I decorated Cian's room using furniture and art that we already had. This was not only for economical reasons, but also because we wanted to put items in his room that we love and that reflect us and our experiences.
So while we did not set out to have a theme, the two things that we both absolutely love -- music and travel -- ended up being a bit of a recurring theme. But mostly we wanted to create a room that was bright, fun and comfortable, where he can be creative, relax and explore.
We painted the room a light blueish-green and chocolate brown, which has been my favorite color combination ever since my band, All Girl Summer Fun Band, used these colors on one of our album covers. Chris and I then went through our show poster collections and picked out our favorite ones. Since we have both been in bands for 20-plus years we had a lot of great ones to choose from. It has been fun having Cian ask us about the posters and telling him stories about each of the shows. He proudly tells people that they are his rock posters.
Cian's favorite part of his room is his closet, which we emptied out and turned into a really comfortable chalkboard hang out area. We spend a lot of time in there with him drawing, having pillow fights, reading books, telling stories, and relaxing.
It has been so much fun creating things for Cian's room. Chris and I made the cityscape night light above his bookshelf as well as the doll house. And now that he is older he has been coming up with his own project ideas and helping us create them. He and I recently made the teepee out of sticks that we collected during a tricycle ride around the block.
Chris and I will continue to share our love of music and travel with Cian. This spring we will be taking him on his first ever tour. We will be touring Europe for two weeks in April with my new solo project band (Kim Baxter). I am looking forward to the adventure of touring with him and I am really excited to add all of the show posters to his wall when we get home.
- Cityscape night light: I made this out of cardboard, white acrylic paint, one long piece of wood, and a hot glue gun. I hid a string of LED lights behind it so the light can shine through the windows at night. It gives off the perfect amount of light at night.
- Chalkboard closet: We used painter's tape to tape off the outline of the mountains then painted the bottom half of the walls with black chalkboard paint. I then used white chalk to draw the outline of the mountains and the snow caps.
- Doll house: I found some images of simple mid-century modern homes online and showed them to Chris. He was able to come up with a simple design and created it out of a single $6 piece of wood. I then designed the wallpaper in photoshop.
- Russian alphabet poster: I bought this poster on Arbat Street in Moscow in 1992 when I was 14 and living there as an exchange student.
- Arabic flash cards: My brother, Todd, lived in Muscat, Oman for a few years. He bought these flash cards at the local grocery store and gave them to me when I went there to visit him.
- Tae Won Yu photo collage (above the Russian alphabet poster): This was a gift from Tae and is a photo of me. This image was used for the Built to Spill "Keep it Like a Secret" album cover.
- Animal pillows: These were made by me for my bag, clothing and accessories company, Kissycake
Thanks, Kim! You can see more of Kim at Kim Baxter Music and Kissycake.
(Images: Chris Flanagan)
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID'S SPACE