I've always loved Washington, DC-based designer Darryl Carter's style. His book The New Traditional is one of my go-to decorating books for inspiration. Happily, this breed of "New Traditional" decor has been cropping up beyond Carter's personal reach.
The rooms shown here all capture some of the essences of Carter's style: Lots of antiques, including rich-hued wood case pieces and coffee tables paired with chairs and sofas with gracious curves and muted upholstery. And, like Carter's rooms, many of these rooms play with vertical scale in a dramatic way (large statues or figures, for example, or boldly tall coffee tables). Finally, these rooms share Carter's sense of calm and subdued beauty; elegant yet unfussy.
• 1 Darryl Carter's DC Townhouse on Elle Decor.
• 2 Darryl Carter's Virginia farmhouse in Elle Decor.
• 3 A Perfect Grey.
• 4 Habitually Chic.
• 5 Habitually Chic jean
• 6 A modern Georgian in East London featured in From The Right Bank.
• 7 Desire to Inspire
• 8 Philippa's Worldy Vignettes.
• 9 Lux Interior Designs.
• 10 1st Options via Inspiring Interiors From Location Agency Websites.
• 11 My living room. Catrin & Chris's New Traditional.
• 12 Steven Gamrall designed this home in Spicer and Bank.
• 13 Shiela Bridges decorated this bedroom featured in Elle Decor