Name: Clayton Apgar + Kate Morgan Chadwick
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Size: 750 square feet
Years lived in: 1 1/2 years; Rented
Clayton and Kate live in one of those classic Spanish architectural charmers, on my favorite street in Los Feliz. Their home is shaded by trees and dappled with filtered sunlight. Clayton, an interior designer, has applied his simple design philosophy to create a perfect home for himself and his fiancé, actress Kate Morgan Chadwick.
When moving in together, Clayton and Kate had one goal: to create a home that is a meaningful illustration of their lives together. This is Clayton's philosophy for any design project — that the most essential part is the people who will live there.
This home is layered with modern and vintage midcentury pieces, with large scale artwork that is eye catching and personal. I love how organized and yet also lived in their home is. They've created a pretty neutral palette, but the surprising pops of color really pull each room together.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Balanced, integrated,
Inspiration: What is well made and
thoughtful. The best representation of anything.
Favorite Element: The fabric panel behind our
bed, for the way it orients the room.
Biggest Challenge: Stripping the door hardware
of decades of paint.
What Friends Say: Good things, though talk
quickly turns to beverages.
Biggest Annoyance: A tie — the tiled kitchen
counters, about the color of buffet scrambled eggs, and the linoleum kitchen
floor, about the color of an overcast day.
Proudest DIY: See “Biggest Challenge”.
Biggest Indulgence: Changing the pulls, hooks,
and window shades even though it’s a rental.
Best Advice: Invest in what you love. Be
patient and trust your gut (at the same time).
Dream Sources: Galerie Half, JF Chen,
Robert Stilin, Lawson-Fenning, Grain
Resources of Note:
• Williams Sofa, Folding Leather Stools: Empiric
• Coffee Table: custom, Clayton Apgar Design; fabricated in
• Vintage Saddle Stool: Clayton’s family
• Steel Side Table: custom, Clayton Apgar Design; fabricated
by Living Room
• 1950s Crendenza: Sunset Bazaar
• Vintage Bentwood Chair: an apartment in Brooklyn
• Danish Beveled Mirror: Dekor LA; reframed by Allan
• 1970s Chrome Lamp: Casa Victoria
• Reclaimed Wood Lamp: Golden Calf
• Sail Away:
custom, Clayton Apgar Design; framed by Allan Jeffries
• Eero Saarinen Tulip Table: Design Within Reach
• Vintage Czech Chairs: Golden Calf
• Vintage Campaign Chair: Graham Fowler
• Stainless Steel Prep Table: Ikea
• Stainless Steel Shelf: Surfas Restaurant Supply
• Santa Monica:
custom, Clayton Apgar Design; framed by Baller Art Ware
• Josef Albers Print: framed by Baller Art Ware
• Upholstered Headboard: custom, Clayton Apgar Design;
fabricated by Landon Cole
• Lacquer Nightstands: custom, Clayton Apgar Design in
collaboration with Perch Design Build; finishing by Landon Cole
• Vintage Tallboy: Kate’s family
• Oval Mirror: Clayton’s family
• Brass Swing Arm Lamps: Robert Abbey from Empiric
• Vintage Danish Sconces: Dekor LA
• Made Me Think of You
couple’s collaboration; framed by Baller Art Ware
• Towels: Restoration Hardware
• Area Rug: Dash & Albert from Lawson-Fenning
• Pantry Drawer Pulls: Liz’s Hardware
Thanks, Clayton + Kate! And, thank you to Savannah Farris-Gilbert for introducing us!
(Images: Bethany Nauert )
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.