Taking proper care of hardwood floors: In the ranks of #adulting household chores, it can seem as daunting as washing your curtains and actually laundering items on the delicate cycle. Like delicates, hardwood floors need proper attention: but it turns out it's one of the easier (and more immediately rewarding!) grownup behaviors to master.
So do you steam mop? Polish? Clean by hand like Cinderella? We teamed up with the floor-cleaning experts at Bona® to find out how to do the job right. (Meanwhile, we'll be over here trying to figure out what counts as a delicate.)
- Treat your floors well always.
- Have a no-shoes policy and use a good welcome mat.
- Use furniture pads.
- Don't go overboard. Do your best, but don't forget that floors are for rooms, and rooms are for living.
- Dust twice a week. Do a quick maintenance job with soft microfiber, which traps dirt and allergens without scratching floors. Bona's Microfiber Floor Mop + Duster and multi-layered Disposable Dusting Cloths are an effortless 1–2 punch against dust bunnies, dirt, and hair.
- Mop once a week. Take your trusty mop and swap on your new old friend microfiber to use with a hardwood-safe cleaner. Or if you're in a pinch for time, try a Hardwood Floor Wet Cleaning Pad, which is infused with no residue cleaner and dries fast.
- Deep clean once a month. A few spritzes of Bona PowerPlus® Hardwood Floor Deep Cleaner — with a bubbling, oxygenated formula that does all the heavy lifting — is like a juice cleanse for your floors, detoxing them of the dirty build-up that can make you afraid to go barefoot.
Bona PowerPlus offers a very powerful clean. Inspired by busy homes and active lives, its oxygenated formulas and microfiber technology get cleaning done right and fast. In fact, according to Bona's research, cleaning with PowerPlus Hardwood Floor Deep Cleaner and Microfiber Deep Clean Pads gets your home 70 percent cleaner than other hardwood floor cleaners on the market.
Go ahead and do the Risky Business slide when you're done. You've earned it.
This post is sponsored by Bona and was created by the Apartment Therapy Creative Studio. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Apartment Therapy possible.