Most of the times that I clean and organize my bathroom it's a piecemeal effort, tidying up as I go along. That's not what this post is about. Here, we're looking at that deep clean that's reserved for weekends. In combination with more regular quick sweeps, you've got a plan for a truly clean and organized bathroom:
The Deep Clean
Here's the breakdown:
- Clear the room. Remove all rugs, towels, shower curtain, freestanding furnishings. Clear sink-side, counters, and shower of toiletries.
- Start the wash. Throw the rugs, towels, curtain, and washcloths in the wash. If you don't have laundry in your home, bag these up for the laundromat.
- Put toilet cleaner in the toilet and tub cleaner in the shower/tub. This will allow soaking time in these tough-to-clean areas while you clean the rest of the room.
- Sweep. Dry sweep the floors. This will pick up hair/dust/fuzz that you don't want to smear around when you wet-wash the floors.
- Clean surfaces like countertops, top of toilet, toilet seat using whatever surface cleaner you prefer. Don't forget walls, doors and frames, and light switches!
- Clean the mirror.
- Wet-wash floors. I prefer to wash the bathroom floor with a wet cloth, as a mop is unwieldy for me in such a small space. But whichever way you prefer, wet-wash the floors. Work from the far corner toward the door. Once you've worked all the way to the door, step out of the room, allowing the floors to dry and…
- Switch laundry to dryer. If you don't have laundry in-house, now's a good time to take laundry to the laundromat. Bring a book along and take breather while the floors dry.
- Clean toilet and tub/shower now that they've had time to soak.
- Place rugs and linens back in your now-clean bathroom, as well as bottles in the shower and anything else you keep out in the open. Top off the soap pump!
- Organizing is more fun in a clean bathroom. Now that the room's clean, take some time to sort through the medicine cabinet and get rid of anything old or make note of anything that needs replaced.
- Daily once-overs like wiping the sink out or keeping the countertop tidied up will maintain your beautiful bathroom until the next deep clean!
Have anything to add?