When we first saw Dave Lei's redesigned home workstation, we definitely wanted to find out more. He recently decided to upgrade his workstation, and this is the result. It looks amazing and we wanted to find out exactly how he did it.
Dave lives in Gaithersburg, Maryland, and his room is 12'×12'. He's lived at his current location for 5 years. Dave enjoys having his workplace neat and organized. He enjoys simple, clean and contemporary styles for in indoor decoration. There's one thing that he always works on hard, and that's hiding away his cables and using wire-free configurations.
Dave was inspired by Lifehacker and decided to upgrade his workstation. This is why he decided to go for dual monitors. His favorite element is definitely his 26" LCD display and the Ergotron LX mount. It allows him to position the LCD in a few different ways. The mount even lets him pull the monitor closer as he leans back in his chair. Further updates will include a new laptop and/or desktop.
Another great feature of his workstation is the DIY USB charging/dock that he came up with. He was inspired by the Bluelounge Sanctuary. His DIY-version has got a USB dock, iPhone connector, as well as a Jawbone charging connector. It is made out of a picture frame and leather fabric. Inside, you'll find a mini-USB hub. It's also large enough to hold his keys, wallet, and sunglasses.
Here is the tech hardware that went into his new workstation. Dave used a variety of sources, from Amazon, to donations from friends to put together his workstation.
- Samsung SyncMaster 204B LCD Monitor (PC Connection)
- Asus VK266H 26" LCD Monitor (Buy.com)
- Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop (Craig's List)
- Canon MP610 Printer (Amazon)
- D-Link DNS-323 NAS (Amazon)
- D-Link Cable Modem (Friend donation)
- D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router (Friend donation)
- Logitech Dual Action Gamepad (PC Connection)
- Dell Multimedia Keyboard (eBay)
- Logitech MouseMan (Friend donation)
- DIY USB Hub/Charging Station (Crate & Barrel photo frame)
- APC Back-UPS RS 1200 (APC)
- Ergotron LX Desk Mount (Buy.com)
Dave uses an IKEA Jerker desk, which was discontinued two years ago, and a Sam's Club executive leather chair as office furniture. His lighting includes IKEA Dioder LED strips and an IKEA Tertial desk lamp. IKEA DOKUMENT and Signum cable management complete the setup.
(Images shared by: Dave Lei)
Ikea Signum Cable Management