Late June (in the middle of World Cup soccer season) seems like the ideal time to revisit this airy home in South Africa. Located along Kalk Bay in Cape Town, it's a year-round home that's so relaxed, it feels like a weekend getaway.
There are a ton of good lessons and ideas to cull from in K & R's home. Here are a few:
- Your home should reflect your personality. You can tell just by the photo that this is a laid-back guy who makes people feel instantly at ease, and his home is equally comfortable.
- Make room in your home for your favorite things. K and R have a collection of 80s LPs. Even though they could digitize the collection to save space, they love their records, and they transformed a table into a music station. When you really care about something in your home, honor it by giving it a functional, well-designed place to live.
- Anything can be art. The flags are one of our favorite things about the living room — their bright, graphic style makes them ideal wall hangings.
- Group collections by color. It's an easy and inexpensive way to create a focal point in a room. The bright red items on the shelves also tie into the red of the nearby flag.
- Wall hooks rock. We love the way this lone hook makes the hat seem like one of Marcel Duchamp's readymades.
To see the full tour of K & R's home, click here.
Photos: Liezel Strauss