- Take everything out of the bedroom that doesn't belong there. Remove any dishes, paperwork, loose change, etc. If possible, keep high-energy objects like TVs and computers out of the bedroom.
- Get rid of any clothes, jewelry, or shoes that you don't need. Be ruthless! Each thing you get rid of is one less thing to store and care for.
- Clean all surfaces, wash sheets, and clean the floors.
Organize and Store the Rest:
- Store magazines and reading materials next to the bed with a piece like the Offi Mag Table, $149. Regularly toss old magazines.
- Keep a couple of stackable laundry baskets in the bedroom, like the Tub Trugs from the AT Store, $12 - $14. Pick a laundry night and stick with it.
- Get rid of cheap wire hangers that easily tangle and replace them with wood or fabric hangers in your closet, like the Bumerang Hanger from IKEA, $1.99.
- If you don't already have a system for storing your shoes, get one. The Fran shoe rack from IKEA ($9.99) is cheap and chic.
- Keep your drawers in good shape with drawer organizers, such as the Eva System from the Container Store.
- Store extra blankets in under-the-bed drawers. The Roly Basket from Maine cottage is a beautiful piece, but at $250 it's a lot for a storage container. Make your own version with this post.
(Re-Edited from 2007.10.24 - CB)