Though you may think of coasters as more suitable for grandma's house than for your home, the fact is they do help prevent unattractive water marks that can ruin the finish of any piece of furniture. Coasters come in all shapes and sizes, including some that can celebrate your inner geek. If traditional cork circles just aren't your style, then check out this selection of quirky coasters that highlight your interests while protecting your furniture.
- The Robot Industrial Felt Coasters combine crafty and industrial elements to create a unique set of coasters. Displayed together, each set of four forms one diagram of a robot with labeled parts; individually each thick felt coaster helps protect your wooden surfaces. $16 for a set of four.
- The Space Invaders Coasters use small blocks of wood in several different colors and grains to create the look of the vintage arcade game. The wooden coasters are then coated in shellac to make them waterproof to to help "defend against invading condensation". $60 for a set of six (two each of three different invaders).
- The Motherboard Coasters are made from recycled computer parts, making them both furniture and eco-friendly. These techy coasters add a wonderful pop of color and texture to any tabletop. $13 for a set of six.
- The Placemaths Coaster Set is another felt offering, one that drops you back to elementary school days but with much more style. These die-cut industrial felt coasters come in reversible color options; red/white and charcoal/white are still available. $22 for a set of five.
- The iPod/iPhone Apps Coasters highlight the ubiquitous nature of apps graphics in our world today. Whether you are an Apple afficionado or not, these ceramic coasters backed with felt are a touch-in-cheek way to dress up your coffee table. $39 for a set of 17.