Spring in DC is all about the Cherry Blossom Festival, which wrapped up with a parade and Japanese street festival this weekend. I love the contrast of the ethereal blossoms with the thick twisted trunks of the trees that line the Tidal Basin, and this studio was inspired by the things I saw on my recent trip down to the cherry blossoms: the blue sky, the grey water, the fluttering pink petals, and the sturdy brown tree trunks all informed my design choices.
- The West Elm Storage Bed ($1400) is solid and simple, and provides the hidden storage so necessary in a small living space. Though a bed and sofa might be tight in a studio, I don't like sleeping on a sofa bed, or having guests sit on my bed, so the two pieces are a necessity.
- The Essex Bar Cabinet ($400) is a compact bar, perfectly sized for entertaining in a small space. I like to host cocktail parties, so hidden bar storage is a must!
- I love the lines of the Arlington Sofa ($2200) and this heather grey velvet calls to mind the color of the water in the Tidal Basin on a cloudy DC afternoon.
- This Magic J Table ($1500) opens up from a cocktail table to a dining table when need. This piece is offered in a selection of colors- I would likely choose a darker shade than the one shown here.
- For a bibliophile like me, bookcases are essential. I love this magnificent hack involving an IKEA Expedit and a welded steel frame. I would use this to section off my studio space and create a little privacy for the sleeping area. Add dual-function cubes under the steel frame to create even more hidden storage.
- The pattern on this Coral Rug ($290) and the bright red and orange provide a nice pop of contrast for the plain grey sofa.
- My mom gave me this DC Ork Screenprint ($27) for Christmas and I love it- it is the perfect accessory for this DC native. I hung it over the bar to give that piece some height to balance the Expedit.
- These Waterfall Curtains ($68) were actually the first element that came to mind when I started putting this studio together- the ruffles flutter in the breeze just like the blossoms on the cherry trees.
- I like these Pillows by Joom ($25-30) to dress up the plain sofa, and appreciate that they can be changed with the seasons.