There's something about royal blue that's sexy, powerful, and even profound — all at once. It's deep, it's dark, it's the color of the night sky…Officially described by Merriam Webster as "a vivid purplish blue," it's...well...royal. The King of rock n' roll was a fan.
Although it may not be the signature color of real kings and queens (that honor usually goes to purple), it IS the color of distinguished old-school design — from Royal Copenhagen china to a Ming Dynasty vase.
Here are a few inspiring ways we've seen it used at home (and on the occasional sixties redhead vixen):
- Christina Hendricks as Joan Holloway on AMC's Mad Men
- Notting Hill Home by Ilse Crawford
- Dave's Lakeview Redux
- Annie and Paul Build a Home in Sync
- Justin & Katie's Just Enough Color Jive
- Ken's Mixed Media Dream House
- Isabella and Jay Take on Inwood
- Pepe's Blue Space
- Zooey Deschanel's Blue Studio
- Royal Copenhagen China
Photos: Mad Men / AMC, Evan Thomas, Jill Slater, Beth Lundell Garver, Patrick J. Hamilton, Pepe, Studioilse, Domino, Royal Copenhagen