Whenever we happen to wake up to a gray day — which seems to be this spring's trend in DC — our mind goes instantly to bright colors and striking combinations. Today's daydream: sunny yellow and dramatic teal. Not for the faint of heart, this combo is about pep and impact. We're always taken by its vibrant retro vibe, but wonder if we could live with it in our own home day after day. What about you? Go bold or go hide?FIRST ROW
• 1 There is nothing shy about this bright walled space. The black chairs add a sophisticated edge.
• 2 Is there any way you could look at this room and not think Jonathan Adler? Even though the majority of this room is done in black and white, it's the yellow and teal that steal the show.
• 3 We love the way the soft aqua gives center stage to the bold yellow cabana-striped canopy.
• 4 Funky coastal color.
• 5 We always love doors with personality. This would be perfect in a beach cottage.
• 6 The large expanses of white make light of all the funky elements of this eclectic kitchen.
• 7 We often hear that we should refrain from loud upholstery, but what would this living room be without those chairs?
• 8 Touches of teal update the traditional yellow wallpaper.
(Images: 1: Canadian House and Home, 2,6 : House Beautiful, 3,4,7: Country Living, 5: Martha Stewart, 8: James Merrell)