No longer reserved for bumblebees and smiley faces, the black and yellow combo has attracted a wide variety of aesthetes' admiration over the last several years. Normally, we prefer a quieter palette, but when paired with bright whites or applied in unexpected places — outdoors — the bold combination has a lively, sophisticated appeal that we find hard not to swoon over. What about you?
• 1 We love how the formal, tailored black and white combination is enlivened by touches of yellow in this crisp outdoor eating room.
• 2 Black and yellow make this front porch equally refined and inviting.
• 3 A bold interpretation of the already loud color pairing. The black and white jailbird stripes definitely increase the intensity.
• 4 Normally we think of soaking tubs being surrounded by soothing hues, but the black and yellow give this bathroom a peppy punch.
• 5 We love Tobi Fairley's sophisticated use of color in this living room.
• 6 DC's Kelley Proxmire is often complimented for her fresh interpretation of uber traditional design, and this upbeat but elegant dining area is no exception thanks to her use of crisp blacks and bright yellow.
• 7 Kitchens are probably the last room we'd think to paint black. However, when balanced by touches of vibrant yellow, this unexpectedly black kitchen is more fun and edgy than gloomy or dank.
• 8 We love this Colorama kitchen enough to feature it again. The black and white wall covering paired with the funky yellow cabinets and pendants makes our hearts skip a beat.
Intimidated or inspired? What's your take?
(Images: 1: Country Living, 2: Martha Stewart, 3: Per Magnus Persson via Plastolux, 4: Skona Hem, 5: Tobi Fairely, 6: Kelley Proxmire, 7: Living Etc., 8: Colorama via Apartment Therapy Chicago)