Inspiration is all around: from the moment you walk outside in the morning you're overtaken by visions of beauty, both in nature and in man-made objects. So, sit up and pay attention to that beautiful tulip plant making its splash in your neighbors' garden or perhaps think about coloring your living room with the hues from that skirt you've been coveting in your favorite shop's window.If you take notice, there are beautiful color combinations everywhere! I poked around and here are five color families I find inspiring. What's your inspiration?
- Flower bouquets are a wonderful place to seek compatible color combinations. "The easiest way to find a color family is to look at nature...Color families can draw from the colors of an entire season, or from just one object in nature: a tulip, moss on a rock, or a shell on the beach," writes Maxwell in The Eight-Step Home Cure.
- Happening upon a carpet or brightly-patterned pillow you love can be a great place to find inspiring color families. If you already have a collection you don't want to part with, begin there! Which colors dominate your collection? Think about how you can incorporate those colors into your space!
- If you have a piece of artwork in your home that you absolutely love, you'll likely want to create a space where it easily hangs to exhibit its inherent beauty. Take the cue from your art and design your room's color palette around it.
- One of the easiest ways to identify successful color pairings is to seek inspiration from decorated spaces you are drawn to and inspired by. Earlier this week we pulled together some favorites in Color Hunting: Inspiring Color Families. Check them out!
- Have you been hanging onto an object, like a beautifully glazed bowl or even magnets, for years? Do you daydream when you think of that object or tack something new onto the refrigerator? If so, consider using its palette for color inspiration!
Color Research Project: Grab your camera and glossy magazines and take or find 5 images of colorful objects and rooms that are inspiring! Tack them onto your refrigerator along with your Color Cure Calendar to spur creativity and ideas about how to make these inspiring colors your own. Want to share and celebrate your finds? Submit your Color Inspiration Story to The Color Cure!
(Images: as linked)