We've posted tons of DIY bedroom ideas on Apartment Therapy before, from painted to tufted headboards. One of the things that attracts us to projects like these is the colorful backdrop they bring to rooms that are often painted in more soothing hues...
The photos above show a mix of beds with and without headboards, but in every case, the wall behind the bed helps to focus the eye on the bed itself. Through specific use of color (and sometimes pattern), these rooms anchor the bed against the wall, creating a sense of balance and symmetry.
• Two-toned color: Better Homes & Gardens
• Chocolate accent wall with triptych: Degerkas' bedroom
• Green patterned headboard on a green wall: Living Etc.
• Fabric headboard: Martha Stewart
• Deep blue: Lucas' studio
• Freestanding wall of pattern: Sunset Magazine
• Wallpaper panels: Summer and Josh's home
• Deep brown: Lane's apartment
• Wallpaper mural: Rachel and Ernie's space
• Patterned accent wall: John Lewis
Photos: Better Homes & Gardens, Degerkas, Living Etc., Martha Stewart, Lucas, Thomas J. Story / Sunset, Evan Thomas, Lane, Rachel and Ernie, John Lewis