Q: Our long-time tenant is moving out of our rental house and a fresh coat of paint is in order. The current color scheme is pale gray walls, dark gray trim, and white ceiling and cabinetry. Personally, though I love gray, I find this particular combination to be a bit drab. However, I can't make up my mind about new colors! These are my criteria…
1. neutral enough that prospective tenants are not scared off or turned off by it.
2. It should make the rooms look as big as possible.
3. It should highlight the architectural details.
4. The same paints must be used throughout the house.
5. The paints must be fairly inexpensive and readily available (no Farrow & Ball, Fine Paints of Europe, etc.).
My instinct is to go with a basic white like Decorator's White or Swiss Coffee on everything except the walls, and to paint the walls a taupe (like BM Camouflage) or warm gray (like SW Hammered Silver). I don't want to invest a lot of time in doing mockups - I would really like to just pick my colors and let the painter have at it. Any suggestions out there? Actual paint color brands/names would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sent by Anna
Editor - Feel free to throw in your two cents about what colours Anna should use.
Got a good question you'd like answered? Send your queries and a photo or two
illustrating your question, and we'll see if the Apartment Therapy LA team or our readers can help answer your question.