a paper installation by Rina Grosman and Vivien Cheng seemed to grow and take over the lobby
An alternative to the Toronto Interior Design Show (IDS11), "Come Up To My Room" is a cross between design and art. Artists created their own installation space in the hallways and second floor rooms of the Gladstone Hotel. The result was an exciting and surprising combination of works in various media that explored living spaces and design. Here are some of my favorites…
Shown in the Images:
• a paper installation by Rina Grosman and Vivien Cheng seemed to grow and take over the lobby
• a tree light by Brothers Dressler, who were also featured in the Toronto Interior Design Show's (IDS11) Sibling Revelry Exhibition.
• Installation artist and sculptor Bruno Billio has been a resident artist of the Gladstone Hotel. His room displayed the remnants of a wild dinner with a spinning table and mess of food.
• this very lonely room by Jana Macalik, John Peterson and Diana Watters presented a typical Parkdale rooming house decor filled with the possessions of a single man. The installation was enclosed by glass and meant to engage the viewer in thinking about what possessions are value and make a place "home."
• Images #4 and 5 show Amanda McCavour's thread installation drawings that form a replica in thread of her previous living room. In making such work, she felt required to revisit, remember and recreate a space that she once called home but is no longer hers.
• Escapes iii by Jen Spinner are miniature fire escapes made of paper.
• these light fixtures in primary colors are made out of sunglasses. Film and video artist Christina Zeidler is also the developer and president of the Gladstone Hotel and Deanne Lehtinen is a furniture designer and builder.
• Images #9 and 10 show a Chair Project by University of Waterloo Architecture students Zak Fish and Harry Wei who were inspired by artist Sol LeWitt's wall drawings. The two chairs can fit together to make a bench/coffee table or storage. See more of this project: Sol LeWitt Chairs.
Learn more about "Come Up To My Room" at The Gladstone Hotel.
Images: 1 - 8 Rachael Grad, 9 & 10 Zak Fish