Leger Wanaselja Architects, the home's construction was well documented by the home owner. Due to the rigid construction of the shipping containers, they act as a weatherproof exterior siding, come pre-insulated, and are very strong. Framing was only needed for windows, and interior partitions and waterproofing only needed around windows and doors. The house was designed to minimize energy use through passive solar design. Well placed windows, stacked plumbing, rainwater collection and solar tubes accompany other green building material:
- blown in cellulose insulation at the roof,
- 50% flyash concrete foundation,
- “green seal” low-voc paint on the interior,
- water-based urethane finish on the wood, and
- 100% wool carpet and bamboo flooring.