Name: Corey Lynn Calter, Designer for COREY by coreylynncalter
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Size: 3,500 square feet
Years lived in: 7 years
I get very excited when I have the opportunity to look inside the homes of fashion designers and Corey Lynn Calter is not just another designer. Her clothes are fun, eclectic, and statement-making, and her home is no different. It doesn't hurt that she married an artist, so you'll also find plenty of modern art in their home.
The decor has a confident rock and roll aesthetic, contrasted with pieces in more traditional styles. It's an unusual mélange, but it works. I found myself saying, wait, is that a Jeff Koons piece in the same dining room with the traditional table and place settings? Yes, and Corey pulls off the look so well!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: My style is very quirky, playful and eclectic. I love strange objects, colors and bold statements. Mixing periods and styles is fun for me.
Inspiration: This is a grown-up home, so I had to think a bit differently when we moved here. The house is Spanish style, built in the 20s, so I got to indulge my love for vintage and rich colors and textures. I fell in love with California style furniture when I moved here, so I try to add that in as much as possible, even when it's a stretch. My greatest obsession is lucite anything!
Favorite Element: We enjoy the yard the most of all.
Biggest Challenge: The layout can be challenging — there was an addition added on at some point, so the room shapes are very unique. But I love that as well. I'm just not an interior designer so I have to think a lot about these things.
What Friends Say: They seem to like it and they think it's very 'me', which, if they like me I guess they like the house. Maybe they just think I'm crazy and so is the house.
Biggest Embarrassment: The master bathroom and my closet.
Proudest DIY: The stripes in my daughter's room. I started it and got too tired, so my husband finished it.
Biggest Indulgence: I buy too many chairs and lamps.
Best Advice: Do a floor plan, and test wall colors before painting the whole thing. It's better to lose the cost of a can of paint than live with a color you don't like. I don't like the color in my kitchen.
Dream Source: Sotheby's
Resources of Note:
- Rose Bowl Flea Market
- MECOX - trays, bar cart, white eternity stools in den, white flokati lamb throw and vintage mirrors outside, silk ikat and embroidered suzani pillows
- Plantation - the gold moroccan mirror in bathroom, quartz votive in dining, throws, peacock, purple zigzag and black Mongolian lamb hair pillow
RUGS & CARPET
- Aga John - Kilim runner in kitchen, grey ikat rug in den, multi ikat in living room, circle shag in master
I love art auctions, you can find a lot of gems like that.
Some of the art in the house:
- Julie Mehretu print in the dining room
- Jeff Koons balloon dog plate
- Work by my husband Glenn Kaino
- Cindy Sherman photo (in the entryway)
- Doug Aitken Santa Claus
- William Cordova polaroids
- Samon Takahashi
- Carrie Mae weems
(Images: Marcia Prentice)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.