Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Brooklyn, NY
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- Everything. I love my/our master bedroom both as a grown-up retreat/sanctuary AND as family-central and our kidsâ favorite place to be. The room gets great light throughout the day (for which Iâm eternally grateful, dark bedrooms are tough), gazes out on brownstones and treetops, retains its original marble mantel, deep moldings and parquet floors and is wrapped in soothing blue. Its primary elements hail from travels, family, Craigslist/auction and my now-shuttered antique store. A wooly Beni Ouarain carpet anchors the room (and is a soft play+stretch surface), block-printed curtains from Jaipur frame windows, bedâs a king-size Pierce Martin 4-poster (Craigslist), Cameroonian chiefâs headdress over the bed, white linen sheets and duvet and a couch! The walls host a shifting collection of art and photos. Crazily, I prefer our room to hotel rooms - save for its not having an en suite bathroom or turn-down service...
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?
- For bedroom beauty: decorate with what you adore and want near. You spend a chunk of time in the bedroom, much of it just gazing, so gaze on good stuff. Textures too - itâs your space to revel in textures and be barefoot. \LOrganizationally, we're blessed with a great walk-in closet but I also mounted BIG hooks everywhere so bathrobes, wear-again clothes, and dry-cleaner-bound pieces are off the bed/floor. We each have dressers, I have dressing table for more spread-space and my collection of figures wears/holds my jewelry. Bed-side, small side tables with drawers (yay!) corral reading glasses, notepads, earplugs out of site. I work to keep my reading piles in check and switch-out as new ones migrate in.
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?
- With its comfy, me-length couch and coffee table (a Korean chest), books and magazines bedside and stacked all around, notepads and pens ready to capture any fleeting idea (all best ideas hatched in bedrooms), radio on WQXR (classical - NPR and hard news is for elsewhere in the house) and king-size 4-poster bed so boat-like we can make like Swiss-family-Robinson, it really is the center of our universe.
See all entries
More posts in this series
My Bedroom Retreat