Some claim that we don't have seasons in San Francisco, but having lived here most of my life, I can attest that we surely do. October may not mean a show of turning leaves, but it does mean cool evenings that make you want to curl up in a cozy room. A room, perhaps, decked out in the warm, luxurious combination of chocolate brown and gold...
Rich brown and metallic gold are a classic pair; together they can embody opulence, but it's possible also to use them in tandem subtly, to achieve a more pared-down look of luxury. We've found a few examples of both ends of the spectrum, from sumptuous to spare:
• 1 In this earthy, inviting bedroom from Livingetc, deep brown is beautiful against a matte gold wallpaper, with the little pop of a gold sequin pillow to add some glamour.
• 2 Accents of gold in artwork, especially when combined with another soft, warm shade like rosy pink, add gleam without being flashy. From Absolutely Beautiful Things.
• 3 A super-simple farmhouse room, gets a pick-me-up from an unexpected gold striped armchair. From Decorpad.
• 4 There's a lot to love in the home of Keith Johnson (of Anthropologie and Man Shops Globe), featured in Elle Decor. But I was especially taken with the little brushed velvet gold cushion on the chair in this corner vignette; it's gorgeous with all the other delicious shades of brown in the room.
• 5 In a living room designed by Kelly Wearstler, shiny gold and brass accessories provide lovely contrast with earthy browns, including the faux bois wallpaper.
• 6 Burnished gold frames are a beautiful way to add a metallic accent; in this sensuous bedroom from AT Casa (via Twolia), brown velvet bedding sets off the bright gold beautifully.
• 7 Another bedroom from Livingetc... a series of gold accents ties the room together, from upholstery tacks to bolster pillow.
• 8 I couldn't resist throwing in this fabulous, romantic wallpaper from Graham and Brown; can't you imagine it in an ultra-elegant bathroom?
For more metallic inspiration from Apartment Therapy, try these posts:
• Bring Home the Gold, Silver, or Bronze: Metallics at Home
• On Trend: Modern Metallics for the Holidays
• Inspiration: Hollywood Regency for the Bedroom