It might be because I was out skiing not long after I learned to walk, but I actually like winter. I even like February, which many people malign. Nevertheless, these months can be hard on the body and sometimes the spirits. Here are 8 of the things that help me enjoy low temperatures.
1. Hot baths: Sylvia Plath had it all right when she said "There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them."
3. Chapstick or lip balm: This one's a no-brainer. I discovered Firebird Bath & Body at a craft fair here in Baltimore, and her lip balm is smooth, moisturizing, and pleasantly fragrant.
4. Bedside carafe: I have been waking with a very dry, sore throat lately. This carafe from CB2 is on my to-buy list.
5. Bedside rug: Cold floors in the morning — why make getting up harder? This sheepskin from Ikea is the right size and extra soft.
6. Warm beverages: I joke that I "chain drink" tea in the winter. Ever since a trip to Ireland I've been hooked on Barry's Gold Blend with milk and sugar.
7. Slippers: The Wicked Good Slippers from L.L. Bean live up to their name. I refer to mine as "elf booties," and they instantly make me feel comfortable and cozy.
8. Lotion: Same vein as #3, but moisturizer is a must in winter. Soap and Paper Factory's Geranium hand cream is more plant and earth than flower, in a very enjoyable way.
What things help you get through the winter?
(Images: 1. Jeanine Brennan, all others: as linked)