The Eastern half of the country is getting a blast of cold air right now. Here in New York we're seeing some of the first snowflakes we've seen this season, while others across the country have already been shoveling driveways. To warm us all up, here are 10 cozy rooms (and a few beds that make me wish I was already at home and under the covers instead of at work writing this post).What makes a home cozy? Rather than slip into a few clichés about love, snuggly puppies, and cookies baking in the oven, I'd argue that it's the same stuff that — to quote a popular post from last week — makes your home less depressing.
Basically light, breathing space, enough cleanliness and order to contribute to a sense of calm, and not so much order that things feel stark. (A few extra blankets don't hurt either, and — to be honest — cookies and puppies always help, too.)
For some cozy inspiration, click through the photos above and go deeper into each home by following the links below.
• Stephen and Todd's Fantastic Mr. Farmhouse
• Beth's Family Townhouse
• Emily & Erick's Modern Eclectic British Eccentric Bungalow
• Heather and Paul's Welcoming Nest
• A Bright and Beautiful Bungalow from an Ohio Trio
• Emily and Jacob's Poetically Photographed Home
• Tereasa's Modest Cottage
• Carl and Laurent's Bright Live/Work Loft
• Michael's Laid Back Cottage
• Pete and Sandy's Minimal Farmhouse
Photos: Stephen Ellwood (1), Liezel Strauss and Beth Evans (2), Bethany Nauert (3), Liezel Strauss (4), Amanda Johnson (5), Emily Johnston Anderson (6), Tereasa Surratt (7), Anastassios Mentis (8), Alisha Peterson-Irwin (9), Michael Jon Watt, Wes & Kayla Schwartz (10)