While studying abroad in France as a college junior, my (amazing) schedule afforded me lots of long weekends and holidays to travel throughout Europe. I picked up, used, and kept a free map from the tourism office in each city I visited — and as a result maps have become one of my favorite craft supplies.
Maps from your travels make for an inexpensive but meaningful part of your crafting arsenal. They're typically colorful, too, and I always enjoyed reading the street names and landmarks in Portuguese or another language foreign to me.
If the summer has you coming down with a case of wanderlust, here are 9 ideas for projects using the maps you collect.
1. DIY globe garland, Robbi Lindeman for Poppytalk Handmade
2. Map-lined door privacy screen, Better Homes and Gardens
3. Map photo mats, Martha Stewart
4. Decoupaged dresser, The Mayfly
5. Map letters
, Francine Clouden/Callaloo Soup
6. Map-covered vases, Martha Stewart
(Especially affordable if you use cans instead of real vases!)
7. Shiny map magnets, How About Orange
8. Mapped-out Kassett boxes, Ikea Hacker
9. Map lamp, Chez Larsson
(Images: As linked above)