We often weigh countertop material choices on their cost, durability, looks. The countertops shown here, however, add one more thing to the list of criteria: wow factor.These countertops range in cost from what must be stratospheric (image 4, in particular) to DIY-on-a-budget (image 5).
• 1 From Caroline's In/Animate Collections, sliced agate was submerged in resin and framed in stainless steel to form this countertop.
• 2 Here's an innovative use of a common material: Corian is backlit with a computer screen to seamlessly integrate the computer with cooking. Via Unplggd.
• 3 A thick glass countertop with a beautiful crystaline pattern in it by ThinkGlass.
• 4 This is probably more Las Vegas than home kitchen, but check out this color-changing laminated glass countertop by John Blazy Designs.
• 5 A back-painted glass design by Designamour.