- Find the perfect place Choose a place that looks bare or pick a spot that will be the center of attention.
- Grab your favorite mirror, piece of art or print Choose this piece carefully. Both the colors and theme of your art piece will be the basis for your vignette and really dominate the composition.
- Bring in a tall item Use a lamp, vase of flowers, thin sculpture or something else (get creative) to give your composition some height.
- Incorporate a stack of books or a tray This is again to add some varying height to the vignette. Depending on where you place it, it can also hold smaller accessories (see next step) and even add a little bit of a layered feel to the composition.
- Add an uneven assortment of smaller accessories Small boxes, figurines, even candles will do in a pinch. This is really where you add some interest, bring in your personality, or customize for the holidays or themed parties.
- Review and Edit Step back from the vignette you've just assembled. Eliminate one or two of the small accessories you added (trust us, it’s not impossible to have a good-looking vignette with a lot of elements, but a simpler composition will seem cleaner, feel fresher and look better). Ignore all the previous rules and follow your instincts if you think the vignette needs more accessories, more art or anything else.
What are your favorite vignette tips? Do you have any in your home that totally break all the "rules"? Will you be revamping your vignettes for the holidays? Let us know!