Unlike salvage shops, scrap stores tend to carry items related to arts and crafts, although home improvement and decor items may be found, too. There's no telling what you might find on a given day. Depending on donations received from factories, businesses, and individuals, scrap stores might have paper, wood, metal, textiles, bottles, furniture, you name it! Many of them also operate as charities and do community outreach. All around, they are great businesses to support and shop from.
Here are some scrap stores around North America. Let us know if you have any to add!
• Art From Scrap in Santa Barbara, Calif.
• ArtScraps in St. Paul, Minn.
• Boston Children's Museum Recycle Shop in Boston, Mass.
• The Creation Station in Lansing, Mich.
• The East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse in Oakland, Calif.
• Hudson Valley Materials Exchange in New Paltz, N.Y.
• MECCA in Eugene, Ore.
• SCRAP in Portland, Ore.
• SCRAP in San Francisco, Calif.
• The Scrap Box in Ann Arbor, Mich.
• The Scrap Exchange in Durham, N.C.
• Urban Source in Vancouver, B.C.
(Image: The Scrap Exchange)