Is it inviting? Does it show care? Does it make you want to know more about what's on the other side? In this post we look specifically at modern doors and entry ways. Each, a thoughtful design decision, and each, a representation of its home's inhabitants in its own way.
1. Raising the Door — As if the scale of this retro pink front door wasn't grand enough, the raised panel motif is extended to the transom above, creating an even more glamorous entry when the door is closed.
2. Going Green — A chartreuse door modernizes this Victorian rowhouse, and a mailbox inspired by the Toronto subway system adds personalized detail.
3. Door Zen-try — This gorgeously landscaped home in Encino Hills features an elegant wooden door flanked by panes of translucent glass, and a simple inset bridge over a placid river rock stream.
4. Elbow Grease & Ingenuity — A DIY slat screen, a completely rehabbed front door and a relocated bullet planter have brought brand new life to the front façade of The Brick House.
5. A Glimpse Within — The warm wood-grain front door of this Japanese home plays nicely off the grey metal exterior and foreshadows the simple wood furnishings contained inside.
6. Sun Shade — Sitting atop an elevated lot in the Ravenna neighborhood of Seattle, the welcoming orange door of this modern home is set back within a protected entry space.
7. Banded Beauty — A shocking pink door is taken to a new level of sophistication with panel detail and strips of alluring aluminum (proof that the back of the door can be just as inspiring as the front!)
8. Sunshine Squared — The door all but disappears into the façade of this home in Amsterdam, where a grid of yellow tiles completely covers its surface and reinforces the cube motif of its architecture.
9. Bright Spot — The citrusy orange doors of this white midcentury home in Palm Springs are a shot of adrenaline in the desert landscape. (Can't you just imagine the poolside sun and sips beyond?)
10. Art as Entry — The West Side Highway home of Bob and Cortney Novogratz features an art installation by British artist Richard Woods on the façade, and provides a just a hint of what one can expect to find beyond its artful doors.
11. Modern Symmetry — A navy blue door with oversized hardware is flanked by black boxwood planters and minimal silver sconces.
12. Clearly Personal — at the Nashville home of Sara Hicks Malone, a jolt of sunshine-y yellow rims doors inset with glass and detailed with a custom decal.
13. Staggering In — A custom-designed raised walkway leads guests directly to the wood-paneled entry of this warm and modern home.
MORE FRONT DOORS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Color Roundup: Front Door Fever
• Colorful Entry Doors: Yellow, Blue, Pink, Green & Purple
• Curb Appeal: Great Gates, Fences & Front Doors
(Images: 1. Moises Equenazi , 2.Style at Home, 3.plastolux, 4.The Brick House, 5.Archimodes, 6.Pb elemental architecture, 7.Apartment Therapy, 8.VMX Architects, 9.Jose Villa, 10.Apartment Therapy, 11.design serendipity, 12.Design Sponge, 13.Better Homes and Gardens)