Doing a project yourself has several benefits. It's cheaper, you learn something along the way, and you have the ability to customize a piece so that it really meets your needs. Short on space? Build an expandable table or multi-purpose loft bed and store your stuff underneath. Need a storage bed? Build a custom platform.
- The sliding kitchen table in Nreaves' Custom Style Home seats 2-6.
- Dave and Amy built a platform for their bed that includes storage and defines a mini room within their loft.
- Tony and Hilary built a "storage pod" in the middle of their tiny apartment. It serves as their home office, closet, bed, and media center.
- Laure's rafter book storage is a simple custom solution that remains a favorite post on Apartment Therapy.
- In Luca's Home, a custom niche above the bed saves space and takes the place of a bedside table.
Photos: Nreaves / Small Cool 2009, Dave and Amy / Small Cool 2009, Tony and Hilary / Small Cool 2008, Laure Joliet, Luca / Small Cool 2008