We opted to sit out Black Friday and spent the day with a friend instead. Although most of our gifts this year are already bought, we do have a few electrical items we're considering purchasing for ourselves today that we hope will help us up our energy efficiency.
- Power Strip: In our old apartment, there's never enough plugs so we're always on the lookout for a power strip. We like the Smart Strip. The warranty against meltdowns is a plus.
- Charger: In the same vein, we've got too many chargers and too many cords! While we don't always remember to unplug our chargers when they're not in use, we'd love something that turns itself off so we'll swap out our drawer full of chargers for the IGo charger; we can even take it with us when we travel.
- Vacuum: We're in the market for a new vacuum. We liked the Ultrasilencer Green Vacuum from Electrolux, a recent giveaway, so much, we're thinking about putting in an order for one today.
- Toilet Monitor: Lots of holiday guests plus one old toilet equals the possibility of disaster. We're hoping to avoid a plumber's visit with this H2Orb monitor
- Electric Tea Kettle: We drink a lot of tea. Rather than turning on the stove and waiting for the kettle to boil, we're considering an electric kettle. The Russel Hobbs Cordless Kettle is an Apartment Therapy favorite.
- Speakers: We're in the market for new speakers. These solar powered ones from ReVerb might be a good bet for a sunny living room.
- Soy Toner Cartridge: Although we're trying to go paper-less, it just hasn't happened yet. Until it does, we'll invest in a couple of toner cartridges with soy based inks.
- Dishwasher: With a lot of guests, washing dishes by hand is a pain! Might be time for a dishwasher. We like the GE Smart Dispense
Appliance Recycling: And, what about our old appliances? We're putting together a package for Greendisk, collecting the old, out-dated or broken appliances of friends and family, to recycle.