The kitchen, the heart of the home. It's one of the most used rooms of the house — and frankly, it's probably crawling with more germs than any other. Following is a breakdown of tasks that will help keep your kitchen sparkling every day, week, month and year.
- Empty dishwasher and dish drainer, as necessary.
- Wash dirty dishes as they happen.
- Wipe spills from counters, floors, and appliances.
- Clean counters.
- Sweep floor.
- Run dishwasher, as necessary.
- Wash out sink.
- Set out clean rag for the next day.
- Sort through leftover items in the fridge.
- Clean outside of appliances.
- Clean inside microwave.
- Thoroughly disinfect the sink and clean faucets.
- Sanitize sponges.
- Mop floors.
- Replace dish towels with clean ones.
- Inventory pantry items to see what's outdated and what needs to be restocked.
- Take inventory of freezer items that need to tossed, eaten soon, or restocked.
- Clean out refrigerator and wipe down shelves and drawers.
- Clean inside of dishwasher if necessary.
- Clean dish drainer drip pan.
- Spot-clean grout.
- Clean refrigerator coils. Unplug first.
- Clean under refrigerator.
- Clean oven.
- Sort through and organize cooking utensils, pans, etc. Get rid of anything broken or unused (barring seasonal items) and duplicates.
- Take inventory of spices and supplements, toss ones that are too old, and take note of what needs replenishing.
- Look at your dishware. Toss anything chipped. Chipped items sap energy, according to feng shui.