Name: Austin & Danielle (of Forage + Fodder)
Type of Project: Kitchen & Garage Remodel
Location: Austin, Texas
Type of building: One story, Single-Family House, 1250 square feet
The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
Our plan all along has been to do as much in the garage as we can before beginning the kitchen portion of the remodel so that our home life is disrupted as little as possible. Our contractors have done all they can do in the garage alone, so this weekend we completely packed up the kitchen and dining room and did our first phase of demolition.
All packed up and ready for demo!
The former contents of our kitchen, now re-located to the office.
Packing the kitchen took longer than I expected, but we were able to purge a lot of items that we no longer use, which felt fantastic. With the exception of a few things (two plates, cups, bowls, silverware) and some cooking essentials (salt, pepper, olive oil), our entire kitchen is now boxed up sitting in our office.
The very beginning of kitchen demo.
Right after our kitchen island almost crushed our new vent hood. Close call.
The demolition went really well. We had a few friends over and we were able to, quite literally, knock everything out in about six hours. Austin got an attachment for his sawzall that took up the kitchen tile in no time. The island came out almost too easily — so much so that when it fell it almost crushed our vent hood that had just arrived in the mail. Needless to say, after that, we moved all things fragile into the living room for safekeeping.
The sawzall made the tile removal a piece of cake.
The tiles popped right up.
We’re moving our ac unit to the attic and removing the pantry and hallway closets to make the kitchen larger, so we had to determine which walls needed to stay on that side of the kitchen. Other than that, it was an ‘everything must go’ type of demo, so that made it move much faster. We decided to leave the sink and stove hooked up for now, but will probably finish the demo next weekend. It doesn’t look like much, but it’s still a functioning kitchen! Oh, and we got a call that our kitchen cabinets are already done, which is about four weeks earlier than expected, so they’re going to hold them as long as they can.
Ripping out the hallway walls with his bare hands.
The kitchen demo accounted for the bulk of our progress this week, but in other news, our old HVAC unit was taken out just in time for a 30 degree cold front. The weather warmed up some this weekend, so hopefully it will stay that way until the new unit is up and running. Oh, and our latest attempts at removing the paint from the brick wall didn’t go as well as I’d hoped. This stuff definitely loosens the paint, but when you take a wire brush to it, it more just moves it around. It’s going to work, it’s just going to take a lot longer than we expected. At this point we’ve decided to go for a ‘weathered’ brick look because completely removing the paint is impossible. This weekend was very productive!
Austin took down this entire sideboard on his own. I took pictures, which is equally as important.
Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us tomorrow for installment #9 of Danielle and Austin's kitchen & garage remodel.
(Images and diary text: Danielle and Austin)